While crafting something, having a hot glue gun is an important tool. You can use it for anything. But when it comes to using hot glue for fabric, you must be thinking about whether it is a good idea or not.
Because using glue on fabric can cause many problems. Although some people use it on fabric without a second thought, the question remains in the same place. Does hot glue work on fabric? Can you use hot glue on the fabric and wash it? How to use a hot glue gun on fabric? These are the common questions that you can have in your mind.
Using hot glue on fabric is not a bad idea. You can use it for crafting or sometimes instead of sewing. But there is something that you need to maintain. While using a hot glue gun, you have to make sure the temperature is not that high. Because it can burn or melt the fabric you are using. There are also some glue guns available that are low-temperature. You can use them for your work. They are specifically for crafting.
When you are about to craft something, you need to know about everything regarding it. Using hot glue on fabric is not a bad thing.
But it is better if you know all the procedures better. And here below, in this article, we are going to talk about it.
Can You Use Hot Glue on Fabric?
There are different kinds of glues that you can use on fabric. And one of them is using hot glue. It is common for people to use hot glue on the fabric. But there are some things that you need to consider while doing it. Because not every cloth will give you the same reaction.
But the important thing that you have to keep in mind is the temperature of the glue you are using. Because too hot fabric will melt or burn the cloth especially if it is nylon or any synthetic fabric. So you need to keep this point in your mind.
Another thing is whether you will wash the clothing after using glue on it. Because if you wash it with water, then it is possible for you not to get the result. So consider this point if you are about to use glue on the fabric.
How to Use Hot Glue on Fabric?
It is easy to use hot glue on your fabric. All you need to do is follow some simple rules that will help you to work with. Other than this, there will be no complications while attaching something with glue to your fabric. So here in this part of the article, we will know how you can use hot glue on your fabric.
First, you need to apply a thin line of glue on the fabric where you want to join something. If you are joining two fabrics with each other, then attach the fabric.
If you are working on a large project, then make sure to work with a small amount. Because hot glues dry fast and become hard.
Make sure to apply hot glue one inch at a time and use the fabric or anything that you want to attach. Make sure not to press anything with your bare hand. Because it can burn your hands.
You will only need a few minutes to attach the fabrics. Once they are glued, they will get hard and make a strong bond. Remember when you are using hot glue, don’t apply too much. Because it will give a damaging outcome.
That’s how you can use a hot glue gun on fabrics without causing any problems.
What temperature is the glue gun perfect to use?
This part is an important fact while using a glue gun. Not every fabric is the same, and almost every fabric will burn if you use too hot glue. So you have to be careful about the temperature while using glue. So even if you use a regular hot glue gun, make sure to use it at its lowest temperature. It will help you to prevent accidents.
The hot glue gun has a natural 383°F (195°C) temperature. It is an automatic temperature. But when it comes to a low-temperature hot glue gun, its temperature is highest 266°F (130°C). So you can use it on your fabrics without having any problems. For a better result, you can get a dual glue gun. In this way, it will be easier for you to use.
Make sure not to use a regular glue stick on your lower-temperature glue gun. Because it will be hard to melt. You can get one that is only for low temperatures. So make sure to take care of the temperature while using it on fabric.
What Type of Fabric is Suitable for Hot Glue?
As we know, there are different types of fabrics. And not every fabric is the same. And hot glue will never react the same with these. Here we are letting you know which material will be suitable and which one is not.
- Wool: With wool material, you won’t find it hard to use it with hot glue. They don’t burn easily and don’t melt.
- Modacrylic: Modacrylic is a synthetic material. It is soft and warm to wear. You can use hot glue to do crafting with this material.
- Cotton: Cotton is a natural fabric. You can use glue for it. But you have to be careful. Otherwise, it will get burned.
- Linen: Linen can get burnt with hot glue. So you have to be careful while using it. Otherwise, there will be no problem with it.
- Viscose: Viscose is also like cotton and linen. That’s why while using hot glue on this fabric, you need to pay some extra attention.
- Polyester: Polyester is a synthetic material. You can use hot glue on it. However, the fabric will melt easily. And your work will get destroyed.
- Nylon: It would not be wise to use hot glue on nylon as it will melt easily. You can not even use a little bit of glue on it.
- Acrylic: Acrylic fabric is also another man-made fabric. Because of the material, you can use it with hot glue.
How to remove hot glue from fabric?
Now the question is, can you remove hot glue from the fabric or not? It is common to apply extra glue that you don’t want to your fabric. As we know, hot glue is very strong. Hence it can be hard for people to remove. But you don’t need to worry. Because we have multiple ways to do it.
- In this way, you need to use rubbing alcohol and cotton swab tips. Take your cotton swab and soak it in rubbing alcohol. Now wipe the glue area, especially the outer edges.
- The other way is to take some vegetable oil and a cotton cloth. Now soak it and dab it into the oil. After that, rub the glue area.
- You can also use an art gum eraser to remove hot glue. Especially, if you are using it on a velvet cloth. It will remove the glue without staining.
You can use hot glue on fabric without any problems except for a few ones. There are no problems with it. However, you have to keep the temperature of the gun perfectly so that there won’t be any burns or melt.
Hot glue is a famous thing for people who love to do crafts. From basic to higher levels, you can do everything with it. So overall, you can say there won’t be any problems to use hot glue on the fabric.
Have you ever tried to do crafting with fabric and hot glue? If so, then tell us about your experience.